MA prosecutors drop groping charges against Kevin Spacey

Exclusive            Getty

Prosecutors said in an emailed statement that they met with the man and his lawyer Sunday and told him that if he wouldn't testify in further proceedings, they couldn't move forward with the case.

The accuser's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said in a statement that the accuser and his family "have shown an enormous amount of courage under hard circumstances", and added that he will not be commenting on the case any further at this time. "I have no further comment at this time".

Yet last week, the son of WCVB anchor Heather Unruh, an 18-year-old man who accused Spacey of groping him at a bar in Nantucket, plead the Fifth Amendment when asked about a missing cellphone containing messages that might have been relevant to the case.

The man's mother, former Boston news anchor Heather Unruh, in November 2017 went public with claims that the actor stuck his hand down her son's trousers and grabbed his genitals.

He was one of the first Hollywood stars to face allegations in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Spacey's defense team claimed exculpatory evidence may have been deleted from the phone before it was given to police and prosecutors.

Spacey tapped him while they stood beside a piano, he informed the researchers.

Spacey could file defamation charges against his accuser.

According to reports, the alleged incident took place at a restaurant in MA back in 2016.

"If you have a complaining witness who is allegedly a sexual assault victim, who is claiming the Fifth Amendment and is therefore is not going to testify, what have you got?" They said they believed the phone contained additional information that would have helped Spacey.

The 59-year-old actor was one of dozens of men in the entertainment industry, business and politics who have been accused of sexual misconduct following the emergence of the #MeToo movement in 2017.

Then a recess was called - during which the accuser informed the judge through a representative that he had made a decision to invoke his Fifth Amendment right to protect himself against self-incrimination - and declined further testimony. During the alleged incident the then teenager reportedly took video of Spacey in the alleged act and sent them to his girlfriend via Snapchat.

An upcoming film removed Spacey and House of Cards dropped him.

Spacey's career imploded in late 2017 after "Star Trek: Discovery" star Anthony Rapp alleged that the two-time Oscar victor made an aggressive sexual advance toward him when he was just 14.

Spacey said he did not remember the alleged encounter, but apologised for any "inappropriate drunken behaviour".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Nketiah lifts youthful Arsenal over Bayern in friendly
Joe Willock looked comfortable in the starting line-up while Tyreece John-Jules and Bukayo Saka didn't look out of place after coming on as late substitutes.

US 'destroyed' Iranian drone near USS Boxer
Later, Trump issued a tweet about the drone takedown, reiterating that the Boxer "took defensive action " against the drone. The state media later published footage of Iranian speedboats circling around the Panamanian-flagged Riah tanker .

Sanders Campaign: Biden 'Flat Out Lied' About Our Health Care Plan
In Iowa, Biden declared himself "against any Republican (and) any Democrat who wants to scrap" the Affordable Care Act. Vice President Joe Biden speaks at a campaign stop at Mack's Apples in Londonderry, New Hampshire, U.S., July 13, 2019.

Brendan Rodgers hoping Leicester can keep Harry Maguire
Maguire played 45 minutes in Leicester's 1-0 friendly win at Scunthorpe on Tuesday and manager Rodgers spoke about the situation afterwards.

Other news