Spacey accuser denies deleting texts about alleged groping

Kevin Spacey

A man who accused Kevin Spacey of groping him at a bar in 2016 is testifying at a MA court hearing Monday to explain why his cell phone is missing. Spacey's lawyers say the man deleted messages from his phone that would support Spacey's claims of innocence and then provided investigators with manipulated screenshots of conversations from that night.

The accuser, William Little, can't find a cellphone wanted by the defense, his lawyer said Monday.

Spacey has pleaded not guilty.

This is a developing news story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest details.

Garabedian said Monday that the man dropped the civil case because he's on an "emotional rollercoaster" and wants to focus on the criminal matter.

Actor Kevin Spacey attends his arraignment for sexual assault charges at Nantucket District Court on January 7, 2019 in Nantucket, Massachusetts.

The man's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said they can not find the phone, but were able to retrieve a copy of its contents that had been backed up to a computer.

Barrett extended the deadline for turning the phone over until Monday and said that if it's not found, the accuser, his attorney and his mother must appear in court to testify about its whereabouts.

Unruh acknowledged deleting some things from her son's phone but denied deleting anything relevant to the case. According to Garabedian, police say their notes reflect the phone was returned to the accuser's father, but he says he doesn't remember ever getting it. The man also accused Spacey of trying to ply him into sexual acts with alcohol.

He is facing questions about what he told others at the time.

The accuser's attorney, Mitchell Garabedian, told CNN via email Friday that he and his client voluntarily dropped the lawsuit and that he would have no further comment.

Spacey still faces a criminal charge of indecent assault and battery.

Spacey's lawyer said a backup copy of the phone is not enough.

Spacey's lawyers say they need the phone to try to recover texts they claim were deleted and would help Spacey's defense.

Authorities in Massachusetts say Spacey got the victim-then an 18-year-old busboy-drunk, and fondled the teen under his trousers without consent, while visiting The Club Car in Nantucket, Massachusetts in July 2016.

The accuser voluntarily dropped the suit, leading legal experts to speculate that a monetary settlement may have been reached.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Royal baby Archie christened in private Windsor Castle ceremony
This photo shows Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor with his parents, Harry and Meghan , the Duke and Duchess of Sussex . Royal fan Anne Daley, who brought a home-baked cake to Windsor, said she was "very hurt" by the level of privacy.

'Mulan' fights her way through first trailer for Disney remake
There are no familiar songs included in the teaser because, well, there apparently won't be any in the full film either. This follows "Beauty & the Beast", "The Jungle Book", " Cinderella " and this year's " Aladdin " and "The Lion King ".

ESPN Football Analyst And Super Bowl Winner Tedy Bruschi Recovering From Stroke
He played four seasons after having a stroke the week after the 2005 Super Bowl, and has worked as an ESPN analyst since retiring. Incredibly, Bruschi returned to the field the following October, earning the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Spacey questioned by United Kingdom police over sex assault claims
Although, he still faces a criminal charge in the U.S. and pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January. The Hollywood star was voluntarily interviewed under caution in May but he was not arrested following the allegations.

Other news