Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi died at Istanbul consulate

White House

Finland's Ministry for Foreign Affairs posted a statement on Twitter on Saturday that the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi must be made subject to an open investigation and the people responsible for his death should be "brought to justice".

"We support the Turkish investigation into it, and the British government wants to see people held to account for that death". Saudi TV also confirmed that General Ahmad al-Asiri, deputy director of General Intelligence Directorate, was sacked over the incident.

"The Saudi "explanation" for murdering journalist and Virginia resident Jamal Khashoggi in a consulate_a fistfight gone wrong_is insulting", tweeted Sen.

Associated Press quoted Saudi state-run media as saying that King Salman has a proposal to restructure kingdom's intelligence services after the Khashoggi killing. "Our condolences go out to them, we feel their pain", Mr Jubeir said.

Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia a year ago fearing he'd be arrested, and became a USA resident.

The government said concerns following the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on October 2 were behind the decision.

"We are not accusing anyone in advance but we don't accept anything to remain covered (up)", he said.

Saudi Deputy Intelligence Chief Ahmad al-Assiri and Media Adviser of the Saudi Royal Court Saud al-Qahtani were sacked.

When asked how did a 60-year-old columnist resisted the 15 security forces, al-Jubeir said: "I don't believe all 15 members were in the consulate when this happened".

Saudi Arabia acknowledged on Friday that there had been attempts to cover up the killing, but it has not released any information publicly on what happened to Khashoggi's body.

It was not clear why the investigators waited more than two weeks to conduct the interviews, but the move comes a day after Turkish officials said they are searching two wooded areas just outside Istanbul for possible remains.

He said it was "a judgement call on the part of Senator Paul" that was "based in emotion" rather than fact.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump said Khashoggi is likely dead and warned of "very severe" measure against Saudi Arabia if they are found to be responsible.

The United Nations has called for an independent, worldwide probe into the death, citing concerns with the credibility of Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United States alike.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Kerch blast: Crimea college 'bomb' kills 10
One student, who said there were multiple bomb blasts, said: "There was a guy with a gun and shooting everyone he could find". The Kremlin says the blast at a college in Crimea that killed at least 10 people could have been a terror attack.

CDC Warns of Polio-Like Virus Striking More US Kids
But Messonnier cautioned that it would be "premature" to conclude that this year will be the same as the earlier years. The cases stretch across 22 states, and most of the patients are children under the age of 18-years-old.

Mayweather says Nurmagomedov fight will happen
Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez is not a big fan of the potential fight that Floyd Mayweather is attempting to pitch. But Mayweather, while out shopping in Beverly Hills, told American TV station TMZ Sports: "I'm my own boss.

Twitter explodes over Jose Altuve controversially being ruled out on apparent HR
That bullpen locked down another Red Sox victory, though not without some help from the rotation and not without a bit of drama. Price recovered to strike out Marwin Gonzalez with a 2-2 changeup before retiring the Astros in order in the fifth and sixth.

Other news