Defense Secretary stalls Donald Trump's trans military ban for the time being

Defense Secretary stalls Donald Trump's trans military ban for the time being

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis released a statement saying that the Department of Defense (DOD) "will carry out the president's policy direction" to push transgender service members out of the military.

At least two lawsuits are targeting Trump's new ban, with human rights groups representing transgender service members and those who want to serve.

As part of the implementation plan, the Secretary of Defense, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall determine how to address transgender individuals now serving in the United States military. While now active trans military members can keep serving until then, Trump has directed the military not to accept any new transgender recruits.

"As directed, we will develop a study and implementation plan, which will contain the steps that will promote military readiness, lethality, and unit cohesion, with due regard for budgetary constraints and consistent with applicable law", Mattis said. Mattis has said that he's waiting for the result of a study on trans service members before he makes his final decision regarding whether they may be fit to serve or not. In June 2016, former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter of the Obama administration lifted the ban based on the findings of a RAND Corporation study, according to The New York Times.

The American Civil Liberties Union has already challenged President Donald Trump's ban, filing a suit Monday in federal court in Maryland on behalf of six active-duty members of the military, the Washington Post reported. Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military. Gen. Joseph Dunford, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, disclosed that a transgender ban would not go into effect until the White House provided official direction. But Mattis' statement was exactly in line with each step of Trump's directive, which granted the defense secretary time to "determine how to address transgender individuals now serving" in the military.

". The military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and can not be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail", Trump tweeted in July. Similarly, Politico's Eliana Johnson called Mattis' statement "kind of a rebuke" of Trump's announcement during an appearance on MSNBC.

Tammy Duckworth, a military veteran who lost both her legs during combat, also criticized Trump's ban on transgender troops.

Trump's war on the transgender community continues. This is just what the August 25 ordered-along with a permanent ban on enlistment, effective now, and a new ban on open service, effective on March 23, 2018.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Top EU lawmaker says Brexit delays raise need for transition
The EU wants to settle Britain's so-called Brexit divorce bill before talks begin on the new trade relationship with the UK. The spokesman also said it is now time to move on to the next port of discussion.

Israel lawmakers visit Jerusalem holy site after 2-year halt
It is the first time Guterres has visited the West Bank and the Gaza Strip since he took over from Ban Ki-moon on January 1. Netanyahu on Monday night, after meeting Guterres earlier in the day, again spoke of not removing settlements.

USA And Universal Health Care
This is because the each state has its own different set-up on all levels socially, financially and geographically. Each state has populations equivalent to nations with universal coverage hence size can never be a limiting issue.

Weidman and Mousasi to Meet at UFC 210 in Intriguing Crossroads Fight
Coming off two very tough losses, the American has taken what could well be the most difficult option currently available to him. The stacked bill will be held in Buffalo, New York, on April 8.

Other news