Jury selection for the double murder trial of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was delayed Monday due to the massive snowstorm that hit Boston, according to reports. The team released him in June 2013, shortly after he was arrested in Lloyd's killing. The upcoming trial is for the 2012 fatal shooting of two men outside a Boston nightclub. In 2015, Hernandez was convicted of murder in Lloyd's death and is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
Maine Gov. Paul LePage, left, says he has a problem with the New England Patriots in part because of how owner Robert Kraft, top right, treated the state of CT, and also because they drafted tight end Aaron Hernandez, bottom right, who was later convicted of murder. At Hernandez's arraignment, prosecutor Patrick Haggan told a judge that in the months before the shooting, Hernandez had become increasingly convinced that people had been "testing, trying or otherwise disrespecting him when he frequented nightclubs in the area". He is accused of using such a weapon to shoot a third man, his friend Alexander Bradley, while in Miami in 2013 to keep him from testifying about the two killings.
Prosecution and defense lawyers are set to begin the lengthy process of selecting a jury from a pool of 600 candidates, a week after his former teammates paraded through the city to celebrate their fifth Super Bowl win. Bradley, a former friend of Hernandez, was with him in his vehicle the night he allegedly shot de Abreu and Furtado.
Hernandez is facing a separate charge of witness intimidation for allegedly shooting Bradley in Florida in 2013. That incident cost Bradley an eye.
That leaves 119 potential jurors remaining in the pool, with another 200 expected to arrive for vetting Wednesday.